Saturday, March 7, 2009

My Chinese Love


Once again, I am intoxicated by the metropolis that is Hong Kong.

I haven't even been here a full 24 hours, but I know I could stay here forever. So I try to think - why is it that I like this place so much? NYC is also a bustling, crowded metropolis full of lights... why doesn't it lure me like HK? What is it about this place?
On the ride from the airport to Kowloon, I see the beautiful, modern skyrises that contribute to Hong Kong's beauty. Then we get onto Nathan road, with its neon flashing signs, and people crowding the sidewalks, that my heart begins to flutter.

I go for a walk today, in the Jordan section of Kowloon, and stop at the Tin Hau Temple,
with its spiral incense offerings hanging from the ceilings, and watch two people offer up their prayers to the gods. It is the juxtaposition of the temple, with the older apartment complexes outside, with the modern-looking hotels, that for me at least, is Hong Kong's essence. This is where the world of the latest technology and the center of the Asian financial markets meets the old, more traditional, more conservative China.


I make my way to the Jade Market where I buy some trinkets and then it's on to Tung Choi Street, aka the Ladies Market. I'm glad I didn't bring more cash with me because I would've spent it all. Although I must say, two "I love Hong Kong" t-shirts, two necklaces - one of shell, the other of jade and silver, one pair of shorts -- all for HK$220, that's US$31, is my kind of shopping spree.
But let's not forget why I'm here. I want to live here. To be an expat for a couple of years. To be the only Caucasian brunette with blonde highlights walking down the street. (That's what I get for wanting to compete with the SoCal girls!!!) Thanks to a USD alum, I have 6 meetings set up this week. All I need is one job offer. Just one.
Pictures can't do this place justice. You'll have to come here in person to feel it for yourself.

No comments:

Post a Comment